Devised theatre offers a rare opportunity to experiment with storytelling across genres and visual languages. Depending on the skills in the room, it can create a performance driven by text, movement, sound, lighting, design, ritual, rhythm … or a little of each.
ATYP is offering an opportunity for up to ten emerging artists aged between 18–26 to generate a 45-minute performance in two weeks to be staged for friends and colleagues. With the working title In the Wind, the project will take the emotional challenge of change as a starting point, drawing from world events and personal stories.
The ensemble should comprise artists with different interests, backgrounds and expertise, including actors, musicians, dancers, designers, writers, choreographers and others interested in the performing arts. Any young artist in the age range, including those from diverse cultural and social backgrounds, those living with disabilities, working professionals and aspiring independent artists are encouraged to apply.
This is a practical process with a focus on learning through action. Artists will develop key skills in:
- Mapping team skills, establishing collective project goals and performance objectives;
- Sharing leadership within the team and empowering participation;
- Establishing a dramaturgical process that allows both shared perspectives and decisive decision-making;
- Rapid content development to meet performance deadlines; and
- Striving to stage a performance that showcases the individual talents of artists involved whilst realising a cohesive, collaborative narrative and outcome.
Applications: Please forward up to two short videos (max 2 minutes each) showcasing what you bring to the project and a brief performance CV.
ATYP’s Industry Studio Program offers participants aged 18-26 an opportunity to learn from Australia’s leading artists and continue to develop their professional practice.
Please note: there is no fee for participating in this program. Applications close 30 October.