Position Vacant: Production and Technical Manager
Name of Position: Production and Technical Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Term of contract: Until end of 2022 with possible option to renew at end of term
● Oversee and coordinate the production aspects of ATYP’s activities including productions, special events and independent hires.
● To oversee and schedule the maintenance of ATYP facilities and equipment at Pier 2/3 on The Wharf and the store in Lilyfield.
● To oversee ATYP’s move from the current premises to Pier 2/3 on the Wharf at Hickson Road
Key Internal Relationships
● The Production and Technical Manager is required to establish and maintain good communication and effective working relationships with ATYP staff, Board and management. The Production and Technical Manager is supported by the Production Coordinator.
Key External Relationships
● The Production and Technical Manager is required to maintain effective working relationships with:
● Young people involved in ATYP programs
● Contracted staff and volunteers
● Production suppliers
● The Walsh Bay Arts Precinct Manager
● Other Production and Services staff in Pier 2/3, such as those employed by Bell Shakespeare and ACO, and by venue hire clients
● In collaboration with the Executive Director, assist with the development of annual production and maintenance budgeting as required.
● Develop plans, priorities and schedules for the smooth running of rehearsal, technical and production periods.
● Ensure creative teams are provided with technical information and budgetary parameters, and an understanding of available resources (human and physical), production and WHS processes.
● Coordinate the costing of preliminary and final designs, and the physical, Heritage (if any) and WHS viability of those designs in a timely manner.
Manage the production process, ensuring:
● High quality technical/production standards.
● Sourcing, rostering and management of casual technical and volunteer staff for rehearsal, bump-ins, show runs and bump-outs, and in accordance with company values.
● Implementation and adherence to production schedules and current WHS standards and practices.
● The maintenance of costs/resources within the pre-determined budget and control of the production petty cash.
● Weekly production meetings with management, key creatives and technical staff during pre-production periods.
● The maintenance of good relations with ATYP production supporters and suppliers.
● The resolution of technical problems as required.
● Returns of hired equipment and the storing of company costumes, props and set elements.
Company move in to new premises:
● With the Executive Team, plan and oversee the move of the Company from their current premises in Woolloomooloo to Pier 2/3 on the Wharf.
● Undertake thorough testing of all production elements of the venue in line with the defects testing period.
● In liaison with the Executive Director and Create NSW, create all technical and WHS documentation for the venue, including: technical specifications, venue plans, inventory of equipment and facilities, and WHS Emergency Procedures Manual.
Building, facilities and equipment:
● Ensure venue requirements (legal, statutory and compliance) are met, and clearly communicated to staff and suppliers, and ensure appropriate training is provided.
● Ensure proper storage and maintenance of the Company’s production resources and equipment including at Pier 2/3 and at the storage facility (91 Canal Rd, Lilyfield).
● Maintain current venue technical specifications document including venue plans and an inventory of equipment and facilities.
● Monitor returns of Company equipment from hire agreements.
● Act as ATYP’s first point of contact for all property management issues, and coordinate contractors to meet ATYP / precinct needs
Implementation and maintenance of WHS procedures:
● Fulfil the role of WHS officer, proactively implementing and overseeing WHS matters within ATYP venues and on its productions including:
● Maintaining the WHS and Emergency Procedures manual.
● Ensuring WHS procedures are maintained in relation to ATYP’s facilities and equipment.
● Inducting and training of staff, contractors, volunteers and hirers on WHS matters.
● Conducting regular reviews of WHS compliance and hazard assessments.
● Assist in the planning, programming and resourcing of small workshop showings as required.
● Attend staff meetings and other meetings as requested, including regularly reporting on activities to the Executive Team
● Support venue hire clients as required overseeing technical requirements and ensure events are adequately resourced, review risk assessments and ensure WHS compliance.
● Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and/or Artistic Director.
● Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience and understanding of the Australian Performing Arts Sector.
● Strong production management, time management and budgeting skills.
● Knowledge of and experience in the technical operations of the performing arts including: set design, construction, rigging, stage automaton, lighting, sound, visual and digital streaming requirements, theatrical costumes and props.
● Knowledge of and a commitment to WHS procedures within the entertainment industry.
● Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate with people of all ages.
● Strong computing knowledge, including experience in the use of electronic design and lighting programs.
● Leadership skills for overseeing, training and developing a small team.
● Excellent negotiation skills with a creative approach to problem solving.
● Demonstrated self-motivation and the capacity to work independently and as a crucial member of a team.
● Ability to work with a high attention to detail and in an efficient manner.
● Demonstrated willingness to embrace organisational change including use of modern technology and an ability to analyse and problem solve in the context of change and continuous improvement.
● Capacity to work evenings and weekends where required.
● Experience in Venue Management
● Experience with capital works projects
● A current drivers licence
● Current First Aid certificate
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES:
- Production department plans, priorities and schedules are maintained as current and delivered according to set timetables.
- Productions and special events are delivered successfully and in a generally smooth and efficient manner.
- Production department expenditure is maintained within pre-determined budgets.
- Satisfying working relationships are established and maintained.
- WHS requirements are implemented and maintained in accordance with legal requirements and company policy.
- Ensure the Company’s premises and equipment is maintained at a high standard at all times.
For further information, please contact Amanda Wright, Executive Director
E: [email protected] P: 0401 650 629
To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter addressing the job criteria and CV to [email protected] by Wednesday 27 October